Year 7 Catch Up Funding 2019-2020
From 2016-17, Year 7 transferred to secondary school with scaled scores rather than National Curriculum levels. Students at the end of Year 6 who achieved a scaled score below 100 in English and Maths are deemed to be below the national average and at the level expected for their age. Therefore this is one indicator used to identify those who might benefit from additional intervention to support a catch up in English and Maths. At The Roundhill Academy we also use Family Fisher Trust data and Reading and Spelling ages, assessed on entry, to identify those in need of targeted intervention. The impact of this intervention is assessed in May of Year 7 by retesting Reading and Spelling ages. This year 20 students in Year 7 have been
identified who would benefit from the interventions outlined below. Funding for 2019-20 academic year £16,127
Use of Funding to support accelerated learning
1. Small group Fresh Start English. This is a phonics based program to develop speaking, reading and writing. This is delivered by the learning support department team to include both the Assistant SENDCO and the senior HLTA.
2. Small group Reading Inference tuition. This is a program designed to develop skills of comprehension and reading for meaning to move students beyond simply decoding. These interventions are delivered by the Assistant SENDCO and the senior HLTA.
3. Individual one to one Literacy interventions. These offer students a range of approaches to address speech and language development, reading, writing and Maths. These interventions are delivered by the Assistant SENDCO and the senior HLTA.
4. Additional targeted support in English lessons is delivered by the senior HLTA.
5. Additional targeted support in Maths lessons is delivered by the departments TA. Impact of the funding The cycle of Assess, Plan, Do, Review is embedded within this intervention and
therefore the impact of this funding is assessed by retesting Reading and Spelling ages in June of Year 7. This is in addition to the assessment within the Fresh Start course which is assessed every 6 weeks using phonics tracking.